Saturday, 19 September 2009

Ponder


There are so many moments I wish I could share with you all. The feeling of the soft sun on my face as I walk to work, sometimes maneuvering between cows and street dogs, donkeys passing. Sitting in the garden at the embassy, having lunch in the sun as I listen to all the great stories of my very experienced colleagues - the coffee tree next to us and a thunderstorm emerging. Loving my work so much I cannot stick to regular working hours; new challenges and tasks lining up until my head spins and my body says no. Knowledge, experience? I feel humble.
---
Screaming of confusion as a cockroach jumps on me from above as I open the cupboard in the kitchen to find some spices. Yelling at the spider that lives in my bedroom, who only replies that since I killed his brother in law last week he will bug me for a long time – literally - and then he runs away. Bastard.
---
Walking to the minibus, past the sheep market, chopped off heads and feet and skins lying everywhere. Sheep having all their four feet tied together, despair in their eyes as they are sold for NOK 250 - then to be shoved into the backseat of one of the small white and blue Lada-taxis and off they go. Inshalla!
---
Sitting in the minibus, travelling through Addis to the beats of Teddy Afro and everyone singing along. Donkeys, street children, elephant men, dust, maize, poverty, diplomatic SUVs, beauty, music; life passing by. Scratching my flea bites. Woraj alle!


Visiting friends in their humble houses. Traditional bread, injera, messer, shiro, coffee ceremony, incents, parrots, eskista, laughter, moments, we are spoiled by those who should be spoiled; eye-opener.
---
Walking home from parties at 7 am, as Addis has already come to life and everyone else goes to church. The sun touching my face gently telling me its time to sleep. Grounding fresh coffee in my kitchen, sitting on the terrace in my underwear drinking 3 cups, 4 cups, 5 cups on Saturday mornings, looking at the clouds.


Screaming of joy as I walk into a hotel room in Debrezeit – from my bed I can look out on the lake and the green rolling hills. A tease of the sea! A big nice bathroom, water, electricity; luxury! Feeling a cold St. George or two (delicious Ethiopian beer) running down my throat as the sun sets. A few hours later, sitting in solitude on the terrace overlooking the lake, as the African night plays its symphony for me - its only me, the sky and the stars in the world. Thinking about all the crazy beautiful madness in my life. Moments of joy and bliss, other moments I might want to forget. Longing.
---
But the feeling of wanting to stay forever fills me, and a rare sense of peace; despite all the confusion about existence, life, the past, the present and the future. Falling asleep with the curtains open, looking at the stars. Waking up in the morning as the sun replaces the stars, the sounds of the world change and everything comes to life, as a new day is welcoming me. Coffee time. - God damn privilege!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hvilken sanselig opplevelse å lese det du skildrer her - tror du skal blir forfatter istedetfor diplomat.
Stor mammaklem fra et annet sanselig sted på jordskorpa:vakre Altea.Savner deg her:-)

Marthe said...

Kjempe fint å lese:) Savna dej masse masse!!!
~Marthe

Unknown said...

....må bare tørke et par tårer i øyekroken før jeg kan si meg uendelig enig med mammaen din; så utrolig vakkert skrevet - og det føles som om jeg er der sammen med deg! Du er bare fantastisk, CAMILLA!!

stian said...

Utrulig artig å læs om korsn du har det der nede:) Herlige bilda og! Vi kan jo berre drøm oss bort fra kontoret når vi hør ka du opplev...

Håpa du nyt kvert øyeblikk:) Hels edderkoppen!

Klem fra bussjåføren

Jay said...

Truly truly awesome!
Beautifully written...like I was there myself...

Much love from dry and hot Joburg;)

Anonymous said...

Fantastisk, Camilla!! <3 Ælskæ de! :*