Wednesday, 12 March 2008

update from "the african experience"

(view from the balcony)

I was sitting in my couch the other day,
in my beautiful little apartment,
halfway doing some readings for one of my courses,
halfway looking out at the beautiful day and the blue sky.
the door was wide open, and I felt like I was about to melt away
- the heat has been intense lately!

all of a sudden something fell onto my balcony.
it was a little leaf.
brownish yellow, and dry.
she has done her job for the season.
autumn has come to the southernmost part of africa!

today I am wearing socks for the first time since I left norway in early january.
and its pouring outside. african rain...
tomorrow is however supposed to be beautiful, warm and sunny.
summer is not over. I hope!

it is wonderful to be back in south africa.
in a strange way it was like coming home.
stellenbosch, where I live and study,
is a beautiful little town, 45 minutes outside of cape town,
in the middle of the winelands.
the university has a stunning campus,
and so far I enjoy the intimate atmosphere,
the small cafes and shops.
(but I miss the sea..)


if you drive a few minutes out of the town center,
you are surrounded by endless vineyards, rolling hills and gorgeous farms.
here you can wine taste till you drop -
and you can splurge in wonderful foods at the restaurants.
it is really a different world.
in all this beauty its easy to forget about the realities.
privilege my friends, privilege...

*peace and prosperity to you all*

beautiful miss sarmiento



beautiful miss storø at vergelegen

1 comment:

Marthe said...

åååå...eg kjem på første fly!!!